Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Can't connect to the lab
Hi everyone,

I just registered and this is my first post.

First of all thanks for offering this forum and the lab.

I've a complain (I know, not the best way to start) and an help request.

First the complain: I find very strange that for a website that should promote security knowledge and awareness the registration to the vpn is done using HTTP... how can you account for what a user does in the lab if you can't be sure their account wasn't compromised?

Speaking of vpn I've created an account but when I connect using openvpn at the end I receive an AUTH_FAILED

Could you help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks
(09-07-2017, 10:01 AM)mediaset Wrote: Hi everyone,

I just registered and this is my first post.

First of all thanks for offering this forum and the lab.

I've a complain (I know, not the best way to start) and an help request.

First the complain: I find very strange that for a website that should promote security knowledge and awareness the registration to the vpn is done using HTTP... how can you account for what a user does in the lab if you can't be sure their account wasn't compromised?

Speaking of vpn I've created an account but when I connect using openvpn at the end I receive an AUTH_FAILED

Could you help me troubleshoot this?

Thanks
Hey, Firstly, thanks for taking the time to send your message on here. This lab is a personal project. that was only opened in the last week. There are numerous things on my list to help improve this project, not least the SSL for both the VPN and the website! I opened this personal project (at no cost) earlier than it should have so that i can get feedback such as this to help improve this service where i can and to help me identify bugs and even take recommendations to add new vulns and machines.

I have only had 1 other person say how they were also getting Auth_fail when trying to login to the VPN. we did some diagnostics and from my end it seemed fine so we created a new account with a password of something like 1234 to test it wasnt being typed in incorrectly. It turned out he could then login with this so this helped identify that the config and connection was fine. Although i didn't know his original password i know it didn't have special characters in so it couldn't really have been an encoding or a keyboard layout issue. Still not sure what caused it. Are you able to try a weak random password just to help diagnose if its a config or connection problem? if you login then we know it is something to do with the way the account is being storied possibly but i see many other registered users who have been able to login no issue.

Again thanks for the feed back good or bad I welcome it to make changes and improve it. However this is a personal project largely in my own time so please bare with me
Hi and thank you for your prompt reply!

I absolutely understand that this is personal project and I really thank you for taking the time to work on it.

My was a constructive comment obviously Big Grin

About the password maybe is like you said because I've used special characters, but how can I change it now?

Thanks again
Actually if you want I can create another user if it's allowed

well, I've tried and it says I need to use a different email address, so I'll wait for your help.

Thanks
I was also wondering: could it be that something is down at the moment?

On the homepage it says that there are 287 registered users but 0 active VPN users, that seems pretty strange...
(09-07-2017, 02:11 PM)mediaset Wrote: I was also wondering: could it be that something is down at the moment?

On the homepage it says that there are 287 registered users but 0 active VPN users, that seems pretty strange...

Hello, yes, on the news section on the side there was a problem wit hthe VPN auth at the time. this has since been fixed Smile
It's working now! Thanks a lot for fixing it Big Grin